Sunday, April 10, 2016

UNDERSTANDING POVERTY

One aspect of our mission training was a course entitled "Bridges Out of Poverty."  This three hour course was nothing short of eye opening!  I (Barbara) was so impressed I bought the book and read it.  I don't know which it helped me with the most:  my work at the prison or our service in the mission.    These people generally come from a similar background.  I feel I have so much more understanding of why it is so difficult to change these people's life for the better.  The best hope for them is to have a mentor--hence, the inner-city missionaries.  Everything we learned applies to Alicia.

A couple of weeks ago she texted and asked me to accompany her to her SS Disability hearing to provide moral support.  I was touched that she would ask me so I took the day off work to accompany her.  It turns out that I was not admitted into the hearing, so I waited in the lobby and read a book.  I was just happy I could be there for Alicia.  I truly hope she gets approved for the disability--with degenerative arthritis she's not going to get any better.  Having that regular money coming in each month would be a major step toward her becoming self-reliant.    She told me that if she gets approved, she wants me to help her set up a budget (something I happen to be pretty good at).  It also looks like she is going to finish her high school diploma for June graduation.  She said I will be the first one she will invite.  (that's what makes this all worthwhile)

No comments: