Wednesday, June 3, 2009

GRADUATION DAY


Today we awarded 361 high school diplomas to inmates in the adult education program at the Utah State Prison. This number is an all-time record. This is my favorite day at work every year and a great opportunity to cheer for these guys and see them so proud of their accomplishment. For some of them, it's probably the first positive achievement of their lives. Our speaker was Larry Galwick, the Highland Rugby coach whose story is told in the movie Forever Strong. He is not only a great coach but an excellent motivational speaker as well. Prior to his coming for graduation, he gave us a copy of the movie and asked us to show it to the grads. Most of them were able to see it and I think it touched them all. This year I requested a clearance for Craig so he could attend the graduation. It was a great opportunity for him to get a glimpse of what I experience at the prison. All in all, it was a great day and I am grateful for the opportunity I have had to make a difference in these inmates lives.

1 comment:

Jen said...

That's great! I'm glad you finally got to show the movie :) It's wonderful that you are making such a positive difference in so many lives. You are a great example to all of us!