Tuesday, May 26, 2009

IN MEMORIUM


It is with profound sadness that I write of the passing of our beloved and faithful dog, Sam. We aren't sure what happened to him but his hind legs seemed to just freeze up and would no longer move independently or support him. It happened Sunday afternoon and after a checkup and x-rays at an animal hospital, we were sent home with pain meds and muscle relaxers. But we could quickly see that he was now totally dependant on us to carry him outside as he could no longer get up and out the doggie door to go to the bathroom. We had to set his food right in front of him so he could eat laying down. By Monday morning it was painfully clear that we were completely out of options. We spent the day trying to prepare ourselves to put him to sleep. I think I cried the entire day, much of the time lying beside him with my face buried in his fur. He was an amazing dog--I always said he was just like Jesus, he loved everyone. Mindy, Amy and Joe showed up late in the afternoon and grieved with us. Joe helped Craig did the hole in the backyard. Right up to the end, Sammy was ever loyal and loving and trying to comfort us. He seemed genuinely concerned that we were all crying. It was one of the most difficult days of my life and I will miss him terribly. Even though Sam's quality of life has diminished greatly the last two years, he remained always loving and devoted. I will always remember his playfulness and mischieviousness. We will probably be digging up candy in the backyard gardens for years to come that he stole at Christmas time. One time Mindy had a collection of "slammer" toys that he stole from her room one at a time and hid them in various places throughout the house. He liked to hold them in his mouth and shake his head until they flew out and landed on the floor or against a wall where they would light up and make a noise. I can still see him jumping into that box of styrofoam peanuts and watching them fly all over the room!! I really feel that if you are fortunate enough to have had a friend like Sam once in your life, you should consider yourself truly blessed. Oh, how we will miss him.

4 comments:

Olivia said...

Our Cougar died a few weeks ago too. Its so sad to see those little family members go. Dogs are such neat additions to any family. Thanks for the invite to your blog.

The Spelts Family said...

Sorry to hear that. Two family dogs gone within a few weeks. Great memories are all that remain.

Jen said...

I am so sorry to hear about Sammy. I know how much he meant to all of you. He truly was a very special dog. Love and miss you all!!!

Janae said...

I am so sorry to hear about Sam. I feel lucky that we got to see Sam when we were staying at your house. He was so cute with the kids, they kept wanting to go into your room to visit him. He was such a kind dog. I know how much you guys loved him. Thanks for sending me the movie in the mail. I appreciated it.